I’m so happy to share this recipe post by my friend Amy Estes!
She says, “Last month I hosted an essential oils party and wanted to serve something I used essential oils in. I quickly found this recipe that fit my needs well. The recipe below calls for lemon juice so I attempted to COMPLETELY replace the lemon juice for lemon essential oil.
I waited until after the filling was cooled to add the essential oil. I can’t tell you how many drops I used because I just added and tasted. I might start with 6 drops. Another option would be to use part lemon juice and part essential oil. In that case only 1-2 drops essential oil would be sufficient.”
Essentially Healthy Lemon Bars
- 6 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (about 7 lemons) (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 whole eggs
- Whisk eggs, honey, and lemon juice (optional) together in a small sauce pan.
- Heat on medium and add coconut oil. Stir until the coconut oil has melted.
- Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and bubbles (mine did not get very thick).
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl in the refrigerator to cool and thicken further (this is where you could add the lemon essential oil, after the filling has cooled).
- Place nuts in a food processor/blender until finely chopped, don’t puree. They should be in tiny pieces but not as fine as almond flour.
- Mix the nuts with the remaining ingredients until they are well combined.
- Spread over the bottom of a greased 8 x 12 pan.
- Heat oven to 400F and bake for 15-20 minutes. The crust will be done when you can insert a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean.
- Cool crust completely before layering the filling over the top. Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Amy says, “I was pleasantly surprised at how well my dessert turned out and was also something my diabetic daughter could enjoy in moderation.”
Amy lives in Oklahoma with her husband of 12 years. Has 6 & 4 year old girls, one of whom is a type 1 diabetic. She loves Jesus, reading, watching movies, homeschooling, and learning to manage her family’s home and health naturally.
To see all the Linky lists that this post may be published on, please CLICK HERE.