This dinner is a big hit at my house, especially with the kids. They love to help with preparation. I love this recipe I found a couple years ago, and have amended it to my own tastes.
Broccoli Pepperoni Calzones
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 1/2 C warm water
- 4 C white wheat or unbleached wheat flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp light evaporated cane sugar
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 1/2 heads raw broccoli (prepared as below)
- 1/2 C mozzarella or mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 C provolone, shredded
- 1/4 C Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 C pepperoni, chopped (I use Veggie pepperoni)
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 TB water
- cornmeal to sprinkle on pan or veggie spray to grease
1. Combine dough ingredients in mixer, bread maker or by hand and knead for 5 minutes. Let rise in warmed oven while you prepare filling (up to 2 hours)
2. Cut broccoli tops from stems. Soak tops in bowl of cool water with an additional tsp of salt for 10-15 min. This helps the broccoli stay fresher and firmer.
3. Boil a pot of water, rinse broccoli and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and chop heads into small pieces.
4. Combine broccoli with the remaining filling ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
5. Get dough and knead for 1 minute. Divide it into 6 equal pieces. Grease 2 12×16 inch glass, stone or stainless steel baking pans. Roll each section of dough into a fairly thin 8×10 inch rectangle. Either do this directly on the pan and leave there to bake or roll on another surface, sprinkle your pan with cornmeal, and transfer back to pan when filled.
6. Place 2/3 C of filling down the middle of the dough long-ways (at least 1 inch away from edges).
7. Combine water with beaten egg and brush around edges. Then fold over and crimp edges with a fork. Place 3 calzones on each pan and brush tops with remaining egg. Prick tops with fork or toothpick.
8. Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven at 375º or until golden brown.
I cut in slices for my little ones to let the heat out before eating. Delish!